Thursday 12 December 2019

The Clydagh Valley Horseshoe on The Galtees

Winds from the northwest meant a forecast of snow on high ground so as a last hurrah before I returned to work I decided to head to The Galtees in the hope of a blast of winter. Setting off from home in the middle of a heavy shower of sleety rain it certainly felt wintry enough and I must say I was looking forward to it. The drive down was as much in rain as not but some clear skies meant I was hopeful that I might get some views as well. Finally as I approached Mitchelstown I could see a dusting on the mountains down to around the 600 metre level...game on 😊.

I decided to do the Clydagh Valley Horseshoe as this would give a decent outing without being too long and still crossing over Galtymór. I set off at 10.20 and decided to head for Lough Curra first as this would hopefully mean the stiff wind would be at my back. A heavy sleet shower meant I was fully suited as I set off but when it cleared I took off the hard shell and packed it away and this is where it stayed for the rest of the trip. Perhaps it was the sight of snow but I found myself really excited by the trip. I suppose it is only natural to feel a little jaded at times but today I I was really excited to be here. The walk up to the wonderful coum in which nestles Lough Curra went well and I was at the snowline by the time I reached the dark waters. I headed around the lake to the far right corner and climbed the broad easy gully that leads to the crest of the main Galty ridge. Once out of the shelter of the gully it was definitely full on winter. This was emphasized by the arrival of a squall of horizontal snow which thankfully was being blown by a following wind. I was also in the cloud but I didn't mind as it was simply invigorating to experience this wild winter weather in this wonderful landscape.
Across to Cush

The easy gully


Suddenly clearing
As I neared the summit of Galtymór I was delighted to find that the cloud was opening up and soon I was able to enjoy views as well as the weather. The summit was quite icy and when I started the descent towards Galtybeg I had to exercise some care so as to avoid a slip. Any notions that I was "hard core" by being out in this weather were dispelled when I was passed by a hill runner dressed in shorts, a very lightweight jacket and runners as he made his way to the top. I was well impressed. When I reached the col above Lough Diheen I was suddenly assaulted by another squall and by spindrift as it was blown up the slope. I had reason to regret not bringing any goggles as well as forgetting crampons. There are few things more unpleasant than a speeding bit of snow or ice hitting your eyeball...ouch. The wind seemed to be getting a little stronger and on the top of Galtybeg it was buffeting. I didn't delay before setting off down the icy slopes and heading for Cush. The clearance brought wonderful light and views and it was delightful all the way to the top and back to the car. It had taken 3 hours 25 minutes to cover the 13 kilometres and included over 1000 metres of ascent. It was a lovely outing.
Summit of Galtymór

Wonderful light



No comments: