Thursday 12 December 2019

Cnoc an Chuillinn via the Northeast Spur

Monday December 9th;

With storm Atiyah having spent itself overnight and another bout of wild and wet weather due to arrive tomorrow it was an easy decision to make to head to the Reeks and get in a quality hill day during this weather window. It was a clear chilly morning with a mere breeze blowing instead of the gales of yesterday and as I parked the car at Lisliebane I could see only a few bits of cloud blowing across the tops. I had thought to just do a straight up and down Carrauntoohil but as I walked into the glen I decided to head for Coomeenmore and climb the north spur of Cnoc an Chuillinn. This is a fine route that leads directly to the summit from the spectacular coum. It is also one of the least visited places in the range. Getting to the coum is a nice walk in itself as you cross the outflow of Lough Callee before contouring gradually into the coum. The spur is fronted by an imposing buttress that could offer some serious broken scrambling but it is wet and difficult and perhaps best avoided unless using a rope. The route climbs the steep left flank of the spur and while it looks a bit intimidating it isn't too bad and only in a few places is it necessary to use your hands. Eventually you reach the top of the buttress and now it is a matter of following the crest of the spur as it rises to the top. A few little scrambly steps can be enjoyed but these can also be avoided if you wish.
Great view across Lough Callee towards Carrauntoohil

Up steeply to the top of the buttress then easier to the summit
Finally the summit arrived and in the stiff chill breeze it didn't feel very welcoming today. This is one of my favourite places in the range and the views it offers into the Black Valley and the Brida Valley are airy and wonderful. Today things were a little moodier as cloud brushed the summit and semi restricted the views but it was moody and still undeniably beautiful. It still being quite early I turned and headed towards Carrauntoohil. After passing Cnoc na Toinne I reached the Devils Ladder and then faced into the long slog to the roof of Ireland. I was actually feeling quite strong and it passed quickly enough and after about 25 minutes I found myself alone at the cloud swept top. A quick bite to eat in the rather grim summit shelter was "enjoyed" before I retraced my steps back towards the Ladder and then descending via the Heavenly Gates. This airy route passes through the most spectacular side of the mountain and is always a pleasure to use. Things went well and I found myself back at the car in just under 5 hours. Needless to say the cloud had lifted by the time I was back in the floor of the glen but I had had some lovely views and a blast of mountain air at this time of year is always a good thing.
Summit views




No comments: