Sunday 29 December 2019

Bookending Christmas..Tomies and Purple...A Fine Round in The Galtees

December 22nd;

The mighty Gap of Dunloe...famed far and wide for it's rugged splendor and spectacular scenery. One can only wonder at the power and size of the glacier that gouged out this huge cut in the mountains. Two distinct mountain areas are thus created but both are classed as The Magillycuddy Reeks. To the east of the gap lies Tomies, Shehy and Purple and to the west lie the many tops that make up the rest of The Reeks.
I had intended to go for a quick up and down Carrauntoohil but at the last minute I turned and headed into Kate Kearneys where I parked up and suited up and headed for Tomies. There are two main ways to reach Tomies...One.. head into to gap until after the skew bridge and head up to The Chimneys. This allows more direct access to Tomies North Top (568metres) but it is steep. Two..use the north spur that allows more gentle access to the mountain but it is longer and you begin by walking back out from the gap for half a kilometre before turning onto a lane, passing some houses before a mucky wet track allows you to reach the crest of the spur and here you follow the trail upwards. This was my route of choice today.
Early views into The Gap
Height is gained gently but the rewards are immediate as the views into the gap and towards Lough Leane and more are wonderful. Cruach Mhór peers above the shoulder of "The Bull" and looked moody and menacing in the black clouds that swept across its top. It wasn't long before I was suffering the consequences of those black clouds as frequent showers of horizontal rain swept through and as I got higher, hailstones, ensured I didn't forget it was winter. It was invigourating.Before long though the gradient steepens as you near the North Top and a steep 200 metres is needed to reach the bleak broad boggy summit. The views are amazing though and the full grandeur of The Reeks, The Gap, Lough Leane and more is a sight to behold. Mind you the strong chill wind ensured I wasted no time before heading for the main top of Tomies. This arrived and the wind up here was really strong. Not enough to blow you sideways but not far off. Easy going for a while before the next drag up to Shehy. Again the strong wind kept me moving so Purple wasn't long in coming. The 100 metre climb passed easily enough and I was able to keep in the lee of the wind right to near the summit. Not so on top though and here the wind was inclined to sweep me sideways. I retreated into the summit shelter and ate a bit here. All was sheltered except for the top of my hat which buffeted comically in the wind.
Getting better

Away to the east

Once out of the shelter the assault resumed but it wasn't long before I was descending rapidly towards Lough Glas. The descent went easily and well and it wasn't too long before I reached the head of the gap. As I went down the view into the Black Valley was simply gorgeous and as if that wasn't enough once I reached the road I had the beauty of the spectacular gap to come. The walk back to the car was really nice except for the frequent heavy showers that ensured I arrived soaking at the car. I changed in the public toilets into my dry clobber and drove home one very happy bunny. Incredibly I had only met one family group on the entire mountain walk. Twas all the better for that.
Spectacular or what?
15 kilometres 1100 metres ascent and 4 hours 25 minutes.

December 26th;

Overindulgence on Christmas day meant it was all too easy to curl up in bed on Stephens Day morning and listen to the rain. It was a pretty miserable morning (what I saw of it) and I was seriously thinking of ditching my previous plan to head to Galtymore today but eventually I resigned myself to a drenching and shook off my lethargy and left home at 10.30. Drizzle and low cloud shrouded the whole of the landscape all the way to Kings Yard where I parked up before setting off on my walk. It was after 11.30 by the time I started so I couldn't be too ambitious with regards to the length of outing I could tackle (not that I really felt up to too much anyway) given the short days but there was still enough time left to do a decent horseshoe. Another good thing was the weather was showing signs of real improvement and some of the tops were clearing.
The weather lookin up

I walked into the glen under Monabrack and crossed over the river before climbing the steep 300 metres to reach its summit. While it was still pretty grey it was wonderful to be out and as it was dry and I had views I felt fortunate indeed. This is one of my favourite areas in this compact range and in here you feel quite remote and removed from anything. It was a mere stiff breeze today and it was also very mild and frankly could have been an autumnal or spring day. After Monabrack a 100 metre drop to the col before the long slog towards the crest of the main ridge adds another 270 metres to the outing. Up here the breeze was a little stronger but still not too bad and it was still mild. One of my most favourite spots in the Galtees is Lyreacappul and on a whim I decided to to include it in my day. It is in truth only a short diversion and I was very glad I did it. Now it is a simple matter of following the Galtee Wall to its end at the base of Dawsons Table and this I did. The views down to the rich agricultural land on the north side of the ridge is always a treat and I really enjoyed my jaunt. The climb to the roof of the range was quite easy and I even had the wind at my back. Alas a little cloud closed over the top as I arrived but I didn't mind. I debated heading in a direct line back towards Kings Yard but I was having fun and I had enough time so I decided to throw in Galtybeg as well. The last time I was here it was in the grip of winter and the top of the descent was icy and slippery. Today it was merely saturated and slippery. The 200 metres to the col went quickly and the views down to Lough Diheen are spectacular and in places a slip would not be recommended. Now all that remained is the 80 or so metres to the final summit of the day. This soon came and I turned and made a direct line into the glen in which the fledgling river Attycharaan flowed. I followed this to the beautiful spot where three streams meet in a clutter of little waterfalls. A small little climb on the shoulder of the following hill and I reached the old ruins and track that led back to the car. The rain arrived for the last twenty minutes of the outing but I was frankly thrilled to have had such a decent weather window in what was a pretty bleak day. It is an easy thing to get changed in the yard as they offer excellent facilities. It really should be utilized more. 

Towards Lyracappul


Just follow the wall..nearly all the way
It had taken me 4 hours 14 minutes to cover the 16.5 kilometres. 1200 metres of climbing made sure my muscles got a good workout and remarkably I hadn't seen a soul all day. Great

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice 1 lad. Great work. Good read. I 've been looking for this kind of information on routes around these areas. Many thanks. Tim

Stephen McAuliffe said...

Cheers Tim. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions