Tuesday 29 October 2019

Crohane and the Cappagh Glen..The Quieter Side of Killarney

Bank holiday Monday and good weather made the decision to head to the mountains but I wasn't keen to brave the hosts that converge on The Reeks on such days. I had thought to head instead to the Horses Glen and Mangerton but as I drove towards Glenflesk the bulk of Crohane loomed behind and it looked wonderful in its autumn hues. It was just too nice to pass up so I turned and drove on the excellent private road that runs alongside Lough Guitane and at its end I parked up and headed into the wild.


After walking in through a couple of grass paddocks I headed into the band of woodland and climbed due east up the slopes to the shoulder of Crohane. Not that Crohane is the only show in town. The diminutive but wonderful Bennaunmore with its deep glens on either side is a joy to behold and nearby the rugged steep slopes that rise towards Stoompa also attracts the eye. The last time I was in this neck of the woods was when I went on the multi day hike from Millstreet to Knocklomena in mid September. Then I traversed  from Glenflesk over Crohane and Bennaunmore before enjoying a delightful wild camp in the Cappagh Glen. It was nice to reminisce on that trip and it took my mind off the rigours of the near 600 metre pull to the summit. Once I reached the shoulder I could see down to Glenflesk and the long pull towards The Paps and more memories returned. Crohane is one of my favourite summits. It is hard to give a really solid reason for this but despite the fact that it barely reaches 650 metres, perhaps it is the combination of how good it looks from afar, its compact and airy summit and of course the wonderful views all around. Whatever the reason the fact remains that I have always enjoyed every visit and I hope to for a long time yet.
Towards Glenflesk and The Paps



I reached the top which was being buffeted by a stiff very chill breeze which yelled that winter was just around the corner and told me not to linger. I was feeling great and made short work of the descent and the rather boggy traverse to the top of the subsidiary SW Top. A steep drop to the narrow valley that holds Loughs Nabroda and Crohane before I tackled the steep 200 metre climb to the airy top of Bennaunmore (454 mtrs). Despite its modest height this is a wonderful mountain guarded by steep rocky ground and even though you are not that far from Killarney you feel really removed from it all. I dropped down the boggy ground and entered the magical Cappagh Glen where some lunch went down a treat before the short journey back to the car. Even though I had only cover 10 kilometres and climbed 850 metres I really felt that I had had a proper mountain day out. To top it all I hadn't seen another soul all day but then again it would have been a surprise if I did..so shussshhh..don't tell anyone.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. So it's ok to drive and park along the 'private' road?

Stephen McAuliffe said...

As far as I know it still is. I always just park in the field before the last house and I've never had an issue. If I find out any different I will post it.

Anonymous said...

It's not private. Right of way exists but
Foreign individual who bought property is trying to block entrance to public