Monday 11 November 2019

The Hags Glen Horseshoe..One of Kerry's Finest

On Friday November 8th I went back to the Reeks to enjoy a big mountain day. There was a frost early doors and the forecast was set fair for the rest of the day so I was really looking forward to my hike as I left the carpark at Lisliebane at 09.20. It was a stunning morning with no wind and blue skies framing the beautiful ridge-line. I decided to do the horseshoe in an anti-clockwise direction so the first job was to get to the top of the spur that curves down from Knockbrinnea. There is no easy way up and I decided to bite the bullet and take a direct line up the steep heathery slope. The 400 metre height gain certainly got the blood flowing and the presence of some midges ensured that I stayed moving until I gained the crest of the shoulder. Once there the angle eases and a puff of breeze got rid of the midges and I relaxed into the climb. The views got better and better as the autumn colours of rust and reds blanketing the lower lands gave stiff competition to the beautiful East Reeks and much much more. Once I reached the summit of Knockbrinnea the 854 metre summit afforded wonderful views in all directions but Carrauntoohil looked especially gnarly and wonderful. In places from here to the summit of Beenkeragh some care was required as the occasional rock was still covered in verglas. I descended on the Coumeenoughter side to the ridge and it was pretty straightforward after that. I was surprised to see that there were still plenty of people heading to Carrauntoohil even though it was a Friday morning in the middle of November. The climb to the roof of Ireland passed quickly and it was a delight to pause for some chocolate and enjoy the wonderful views in the crisp windless day. As I still had a fair way to go I wasted no time in heading for Cnoc na Tionne.
Towards Caherconree and Bartregaum

Knockbrinnea views


Coumasaharn


This is one of my favorite spots in the range as it affords super views to both the Black Valley and Brida Valley and the 3000 footers look large and exciting and promise more adventure. I continued to Cnoc an Chuillinn where I enjoyed lunch and watched some showers creep in from the west. The Bone and Cnoc na Peiste came next before the exhilarating crossing of the ridge all the way to Cruach Mhor. By now some wet snow had arrived but it only added to the mountain feel of the day. The descent was long yet swift all the way to the bridge over the Gaddagh and the ensuing 40 metre climb to the Lisliebane trail felt hard on my tired legs. I arrived at the car at 15.40 so it had taken me 6 hours 20 minutes to cover the 15 kilometres and 1650 meters ascent. It was a superb day out in an inspiring and beautiful place.


A bit of weather on the way
Towards Mangerton
The Big Gun and Cruach Mhor


Finally a shout out to the guy who was getting ready to enter the glen when I came back to the car. He was going to camp up high until Sunday and planned to climb some seriously steep gullies and ridges. I hope he got something done as the weather was at times very wet and a little wild. I have the feeling that being wet and cold in those long dark evenings and nights would have been a bit grim. Hard core.

No comments: