Sunday 27 February 2022

Cnoc na Péiste North Ridge and Carrauntoohil. Another touch of Winter

 


Last Thursday it was cold and wild, and snow fell right down to sea level. I thought that there would have been a serious dump of snow on The Reeks so I headed back first thing on Friday morning with real hope of a wintry outing.

When I say I headed back first thing I mean it. I got a last minute call to work in Cork overnight and I was on the road west at 06.30. A nice leisurely drive saw me arrive in Cronins Yard not long after 8am and once I was ready I set off into the Hags Glen once again. I must confess to having been disappointed once again at the amount of snow on show. I had expected the mountains to have been coated down to 500 metres at least but it was clear that this wasn't the case. Still it was enticing and beautiful and I was in good spirits as I started in. It was also clear that what snow that was there was probably soft so I left the crampons behind and took just one axe, just in case. Even from here it was clear that Curve Gully would have been, at best a slushy wallow, so I decided to head up towards the north ridge of Cnoc na Péiste and once on the main ridge I could then decide how far I wanted to go. I had brought my heavy winter boots and I must confess to being aware of the extra weight but I decided to just set a steady pace and take my time. Once I left the main track and headed up across the boggy slopes it was clear that the ground was very sodden. I eventually reached the steep ground that rises to the moody lake that nestles under the wonderful ridge that connects Cruach Mhór and Cnoc na Péiste and I went up this at an oblique angle until I reached the rocky start of the scrambly section of the ridge.



Lovely fun scrambling on the ridge

The rocks were mostly snow free and entirely ice free so it was actually a really enjoyable scramble. The "fun stuff" lasts for about 150 metres and I enjoyed every bit of it. It offers enjoyable, never too difficult, but occasionally exposed scrambling until the angle eases about 40 metres below the summit. Some cloud clung to the top but this only added to the atmosphere of the climb. I topped out and enjoyed lovely views down to the Black Valley and the lakes of Killarney. Now comes a long section of heavenly walking. Over the next four kilometres there is not too much in the way of climbing so it is easy to amble along at mostly over 3000ft and  enjoy that wonderful feeling of being in the heart of a wild and wonderful place. The early start and scant breakfast meant that lunch became brunch and I relaxed and had a bite to eat before I reached the Devils Ladder. I was feeling good and enjoying myself so I decided to climb Carrauntoohil and return and descend via the Heavenly Gates. 



The Brida Valley


The Heavenly Gates

Just beat the rain..for a change

The climb from the ladder to the summit of Carrauntoohil really doesn't have a lot to recommend it but I kept putting one foot in front of the other and after 30 minutes I reached the roof of the country. As is usual I didn't have it to myself but I was surprised to see a young guy putting away his crampons. I asked him what route he had come up and he said The Lick for a while before breaking out to The Step. I saw that he was also sporting a fine pair of climbing axes. I can only imagine he left more scratches on rock than anything else as absolutely no ice was to be found anywhere. Ah well, god loves a trier. I about faced and descended the lovely route that is The Heavenly Gates. It offers a spectacular route through the most impressive side of the mountain and always inspires. I finally reached the car a little over 5 hours after setting off. It had been a delightful outing of almost 17 kilometres and nearly 1500 metres of ascent. Well worth missing some sleep for. The less said about the fishing that evening the better.


No comments: