Sunday 13 February 2022

A Wintry Magillycuddy Reeks. February 2022.


 I finished nights on Thursday morning and, being determined to make the most of the few days available to me before I start seven 12 hour days, I forwent bed and loaded up the car with my hiking and fishing gear and headed west.

The forecast for the next couple of days was mixed. Today was to be breezy, cold and dry but tomorrow was to get quite windy and rain was due in by midday. As I was going to be passing close to The Reeks while on my way west I decided that a climb of Carrauntoohil would be just the ticket to rid myself of any sleep cobwebs. One thing that struck me as I drove back was the dusting of snow on the mountaintops. Hmmm, perhaps I should have brought an ice axe or crampons?. Ah well, it was too late now. I parked in Lisliebane and set off into the glen shortly after 10am. My oh my, what a glorious morning. Mostly clear skies allowed me to admire the beautiful snow capped peaks ahead. A stiff chilly breeze cleared the sinuses but it wasn't too bad and I was looking forward to the day ahead. As I walked in the track I briefly was temped to climb up The Bone first and then turn and head for Carrauntoohil. I decided against that route as I would be heading into the wind while on top. As I reckoned it would perhaps be a war of attrition on that direction I decided to climb in an anti clockwise direction instead. As I went further into the glen my eye was drawn towards the steep ground that rises directly to Knockbrinnea and on a whim I decided to climb up that way

The view to Beenkeragh and Carrauntoohil from Knockbrinnea

If I wasn't warm by now I soon would be as I started up the unrelenting steep 550mtr climb. On the previous Sunday I went to Dungarvan to run in the 10 mile race. It didn't go well and I suffered badly for most of the run. I was feeling quite sorry for myself for a few days after so a day on the mountains was just the tonic I needed to restore my confidence. On the climb I kept up a steady pace and I was able to gain height quite quickly. The views back down into the glen became more spectacular and the East Reeks and beyond were very special. As I passed above the "Hags Fingers" I was briefly enveloped in cloud and a light snow shower. It only added to the enjoyment of the day. As I had now reached the snow line I had to be a bit more careful as I climbed up the sometimes rocky slopes. The wind was getting stronger and it really felt quite wintry by now. I was loving it. The angle eases back as you near the summit of Knockbrinnea and now the views west towards Inch and Dingle can be enjoyed on top of the nearby glories. Next up comes Beenkeragh.The 200 metre climb passed easily enough but some care was required near the top as I climbed up the icy rocks. It promised to be interesting when I crossed the ridge towards Carrauntoohil.

Carrauntoohil from Beenkeragh

Caher

West towards Coumasaharn

The frozen summit of Beenkeragh was no place to tarry in the biting wind so I wasted no time in setting off on the ridge. First up came the descent. This was straightforward enough once I took my time and made sure of each foot placement  on the icy rocks. Once down, there follows a super enjoyable walk along the good track until you reach the narrow rocky crux of the ridge. I decided to stick to the crest on this section and it worked out well. Good care is needed here but there are ample placements for foot and hand and safe progress can be made. The drop towards the top of O'Sheas Gully is probably the trickiest section of the route in the conditions. Once at the top of the gully another climb is needed to reach the top of Carrauntoohil. Again, some care is needed to surmount the icy sections but soon enough I was on the icebound top. I briefly thought I had the summit to myself (a rare thing these days) but I spotted a few people sheltering from the wind at the stony shelter. I decided to head towards the ladder and have a spot of lunch nearer there. There were a few other climbers out but all in all the mountains were quiet and I had most of the route entirely to myself. After lunch I climbed Cnoc na Toinne, which is one of my favourite places on the ridge. Here you are literally in the heart of the range, and despite being at 840 metres the mountains either side look large and imposing. This spot is also the best (or worst) place to experience the fury of spindrift. Today was no exception and as I crossed the top I had to shelter my eyes from the probing shards of snow. It was invigorating.

The East Reeks

Looking towards Kenmare Bay



As I approached Cnoc an Cuillin I was again overtaken by a wintry squall that only added to the atmosphere of the day. It soon passed and by the time I was on the top the views were again extensive and wonderful. I continued easily on the ridge as far as Maolan Bui (The Bone) and descended easily from there all the way back to the glen floor. I arrived back at the car almost five and a half hours after setting off, tired for sure but also enthused and invigorated. About 14 kilometres covered but over 1500 metres climbing had made it a substantial outing.  It had been a stunning day....and it wasn't over yet.

Into the wonderful Brida Valley

Towards Mangerton and Killarney

Next up came the drive as far as Rossbeigh beach, where after spending an hour digging for lugworm, I set up my rods and prepared for several hours of surf angling. The breeze was forecast to die as darkness arrived and so it came to pass. It made for a very enjoyable experience to relax and watch the rods into the night. It was all the more special as the bass were about and in the mood for food. First cast I brought in the first of several fish and of course no session would be complete without the inevitable losses. It proved to be great sport and before I knew it it was nearly 10pm.I returned to my car and drove the short distance to the back of the beach and  soon I had my tent up and I was settled for the night. I have to add that strictly speaking camping is forbidden here, but I reckoned that in winter and it being from late at night to early morning I would be okay. So it proved to be. It had been an excellent tiring but fun filled day. 


No comments: