Monday 18 October 2021

A Circuit Of The Gap of Dunloe

 


It's been a while since I put anything new on my blog. It isn't that I haven't being doing anything, far from it, but I guess that there has been something of a seismic shift in peoples lives these days and habits changed. I have been doing less on the hills for sure. A new bike arrived last February and I have definitely been enjoying doing more cycling. I have also gotten into sea fishing again and this has also taken up a chunk of my time. I have of course been visiting the hills, but it has been more piecemeal in nature, as I have tried to fit other things into each trip I have done. Yesterday I decided to devote the day entirely to the mountains so I headed back to Kerry early doors.

The weather looked very promising. Clouds clung to the tops as I drove back but I was hopeful that things would clear as the sun gained strength. I intended to go to the Reeks and do a big old circuit. As I drove through Fossa my eyes were drawn to beautiful light glowing on the flanks of Tomies and on a sudden whim I decided to head to Kate Kearneys and climb Tomies and Purple mountain instead. I left the car at 09.35 and headed back the road until I reached the track that would lead to the gentle spur of Tomies north top. There was just a gentle breeze and the air was mild and with mostly blue skies to be seen. I was immediately in my element. It simply felt wonderful to be out. The spur allows you to gain height gently but eventually the 200 metre, hard pull to the broad top, has to be faced. As I gained height the breeze became a wind and suddenly I was left in no doubt that summer had well and truly left us. Being in just a baselayer I had a good incentive to keep moving. Across the yawning valley the shoulder of Strickeen formed the other side but once I was climbing the steeper ground I could suddenly see over it and the might Reeks looked majestic. I was momentarily regretting my decision to give them a miss but then I reckoned that if I had gone there I would have missed this view. 




Once on the broad north top I was seriously tempted to stop and put on another layer but I reasoned that the steep 150 metre climb to Tomies would keep me warm enough. It didn't really, and when I reached the top I wasted no time in adding clothes. Next comes a delightful kilometre of easy walking with stunning views. The biggest danger here is tripping on a rock as you look around you. Cloud was skimming the ground ahead, and once I was heading towards Purple, it was a magical mix of hazy views and fogbows. I didn't delay on the summit and headed down on the long descent towards the head of the gap. Around half way down I stopped for a bite of lunch and enjoyed the wonderful views of the Black Valley, the Upper Lake and of course the soaring Reeks. One thing that was evident was how denuded the slopes of the mountain were of heather. Clearly this whole side of the mountain had been burned during the terrible wild fire earlier in the year. The remainder of the descent went well and as I was feeling good I decided to climb Drishana and completed the circuit via Cnoc na Bhraca and Strickeen. I won't lie to you, I found the 200 metre climb to Drishana quite tough but once that is done the remainder of the climbing isn't too steep. Cloud became more extensive as I approached Cnoc na dTarbh and I was enveloped in mist until I emerged into the sunshine again as I descended towards the long boggy spur that stretched to Strickeen. I was feeling great and I made good progress as I followed the fence across the bog. I enjoyed a brief rest on the excellent viewpoint that is Strickeen before descending the fine track back to the valley floor and my car. 






It had been a superb outing. 19 kilometres, 1500 metres ascent in a blissful 5 hours 45mins.

No comments: