Thursday 31 May 2018

Howling Ridge Again With Daniel

Today I went with my nephew Daniel O'Keeffe to treat him (and me) to his first visit to Carrauntoohil. Dan has a busy life in London and his day to day world is a world away from the wilds of the Kerry Mountains. It is always nice to experience the mountains through fresh eyes and it was a joy to see his reaction to the majesty of these mountains when the swirling misty clouds graced us with some views. I don't think he expected these hills to be, well as "properly" mountain like and it only heightened his anticipation as we got nearer the route.
 This being his first time on a mountain route (his previous experience was limited to indoor walls in London) I decided that a rope and harnesses and some gear would make the outing a safer and more comfortable excursion for everybody. Lack of mountain miles he might have but he doesn't lack for fitness and as I was carrying the rope and gear I struggled to keep pace πŸ˜†. Upon reaching the start of the route we donned our harnesses and sorted out the rope and gear and I set off up. To be frank I didn't place any gear. Instead when I reached a good stance above each rock step I belayed Dan up to me and we continued to the top of the route like this. Things were quite atmospheric with occasional swirling mists around and at times misty views down to the Hags Glen and Dan was enjoying the route and ambience immensely. The climbing was no bother to him and he took to it like a duck to water and by the time we finished he was thirsty for more. A nice lunch at the calm warm summit and then we set off across the Benkeeragh Ridge and descended over Knockbrinnea. The whole experience was superb for both of us and in the future when time and travel allows I'm sure we will enjoy other great days out together. Oh and did I say that I carried the gear and rope ??...Up And down πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.
Thanks Dan.
Dan the man


Born to it


Yours truly..great bum shot

No comments: