Monday 3 December 2012

Wet and windy Carrauntoohil

A week ago I had high hopes of getting a proper winter day in Kerry where the rust could be blown off my sadly neglected ice axes. Ah well I hoped in vain and instead I found myself leaving the car in a gentle breeze kissed by soft drizzle. Still on the upside I was in the company of Frank so a good day was assured. I had gone for a 13+ mile run over Bweeng Mountain the day before so a nice hike was just the thing my auld pins needed. Waterfalls everywhere and a low cloud base ensured a somewhat claustrophobic atmosphere but we didn't care as we reminisced on our trip to Wales and chatted away. Time passed and height was gained and we found ourselves atop Brother O'Sheas Gully. The breeze now became a stiff wind that carried a bracing chill. We were soon at the summit where we sheltered from the wind and enjoyed a quick bite to eat. Descent was via the Heavenly Gates which always shows the mountain off to it best advantage and with the rain getting ever heavier we sploshed our way back to the car. A different day to what I had hoped but fun nonetheless. Coffee and cake in Killarney after was mighty fine.
A recent landslip

Happy despite the weather
Wee bitty wet

No card

Rugged beauty

No comments: