Tuesday 15 November 2011

Coomloughra Horseshoe.

Looking west on the Everagh Peninsula


Coumloughra

The Eastern Reeks
I headed back to the Kerry mountains today for a day on the hills and to test out my knee. The weather was good and as I passed Killarney I decided to do the Coomloughra Horseshoe. This is one of the finest walks in Ireland and takes in the three highest peaks in the country. The western side of the coum was free of cloud so I decided to climb up the steep slopes of Skregbeg and thus on to Beenkeerach. The views from here are great so I decided that this was a good spot for lunch. I was joined by two walkers who were a little unsure of doing the ridge across towards Carrauntoohil so they followed me across. The summit was now clear as well and the views across to the eastern Reeks was great. Onwards to Caher in the cloud and gently down and back to the car. A lovely day out and thankfully no problems with my knee. Back to running again I think.
Carrauntoohil from Beenkeerach

No comments: