Sunday 28 July 2019

Mount Brandon..Stradbally...and world class beaches


Friday July 26th;

I went for a two day (well day and a half) trip to one of my favourite places the Dingle Peninsula on Friday morning to try and fit a combination of mountain, sun and sea into the trip. I packed up all my camping gear with the intention of staying at one of the campsites on the Maherees and set off early doors for the west.
It was lovely and warm at home but as often happens the cloud cover increased the further west I went and the tops of the mountains were well covered. Some rain drifted across the valleys and the temperature had dropped as well and it was down to just 17 degrees by the time I parked in the beautiful village of Cloghane. I didn't let the less than perfect weather bother me though...oh no I had other reasons to be a little pissed off. I had discovered that, even though I had loaded up the car with all the paraphernalia required for a short camping trip I had neglected to include one basic thing...my tent😡. What a complete numpty I am. So it is fair to say I was less than pleased when I set off into the beautiful wide valley between Brandon Peak and Sleivanea. My mood soon improved as I went on as it is hard not to become consumed by the beauty of this place. Soon I reached the turn for lake and once the track ended I crossed the outlet and I began my climb up the spur that rises to Gearane. Steep and unremitting for 600 metres it is a good test of the legs. I was pleased with how it went for me but once I reached the cloud it became quite chilly and coupled with the wind it was necessary to put my jacket and gloves on. With nothing in the way of views it was just a case of putting the head down and pushing on. Brandon Peak and then Brandon itself passed in the fog and rather than continuing along the ridge I dropped down into the wild coum and followed the normal route down to the grotto. Once under the cloud the views to the village at the head of the bay were as usual lovely. I hadn't met anyone while on the ridge but several groups were coming up against me as I went down. I arrived back at the car and decided what I was going to do next.
Back under the cloud..Cloghane bay below


I had resigned myself to returning home that evening but first things first, I was going for a swim. I drove the short distance to the nearby Fermoyle beach and headed for the water. The day was improving and here, away from the mountains the sun was shining. I had my usual doubts as I neared the water. Knowing that it would be cold and thinking that I wouldn't enjoy getting in made me question myself but I banished the negativity and walked into the onrushing wavelets.It wasn't too bad at all and after one or two gasps I was plunging into an oncoming breaker. It was exhilarating. Each wave surged and lifted and I was enthralled by the sensory delights of the experience. Clouds steamed off the summits of the nearby mountains. The water was blue and really pleasant and it is fair to say that the beach wasn't exactly overcrowded. When the weather is like this then there can be fewer places to come as close to the perfection of Brandon Bay. After five minutes or half an hour (who is counting) I returned to the car and changed. The body was aglow after the healing waters but now I had to make a choice as to what to do next. I went to nearby Castlegregory and while enjoying a coffee I rang a couple of B&Bs and I booked myself into one. It was actually in the village and I was soon settled. That evening I went to the stunning beach on the west side of the Maherees and walked in the waters edge for half an hour and enjoyed the sunset. It was truly beautiful and even though I had missed out on the camping experience I was a very happy man as I returned to my room. It had, after all been a really good day.
17 kilometres...1280 metres ascent and same descent...4 hours 30 minutes and a swim👍
Not a bad spot for a dip



Evening on the Maherees

Saturday July 27th;

A gargantuan breakfast of eggs,bacon,sausages and beans at 8am set me up nicely for the day ahead. I had to be at work for 7pm so a short day was the plan and a straight up and back to Stradbally mountain seemed to fit the bill. I drove the couple of kilometres to the main road and at the forestry entrance I parked up and set off . Clouds shrouded the hills again and occasional spits of rain were on the go but it felt good to be on the move again. The going is very easy for the first few kilometres as you follow the forest road up though the woods until finally, after passing a telecoms mast you emerge onto open mountain. One thing that struck me straight away was how much more complex the ground is. From below it looks like a plain slope that rises smoothly up to the main ridge but once out on the open ground then there are some gentle ridges and undulations and there was much more of an open feel than was evident from down below. The gentle going of before was now in the past and I set off up across the pathless heathery ground in a direct line for the highest point of the ridge. The cloud was down at about the 650 metre mark so views would be at a premium today as well but I was looking forward to the outing just the same. Once I crossed a stream I reached a wire fence and this I followed up to the crest of the ridge and once there it was a simple matter of sticking to it all the way to the summit. The cloud lifted with me and some sunshine broke the gloom but the views stayed absent. I decided to include Benoskee in my walk and this added some time and metres to the day. Despite the lack of views I found myself with a big grin on my face when the sun burst through. It was great to be out. I returned by the same route I went up and in typical fashion the cloud lifted as I descended but I didn't mind a bit.
Back under the clouds and things clearing nicely

The Maherees stretch away


 As I got lower my eyes were on the beauty of the blue ocean and I scanned the ground to see which section of beach I would head for once down. On the west side of the Marherees the sea was calm but on the ocean side there was plenty of breakers so that was where I opted for. I drove to Stradbally strand near the golf course and I wasted no time in heading for the water. Breakers there certainly was aplenty and at times it was akin to being in a washing machine but it was great fun all the same. At times it was wonderful to simply gaze around in wonder at the simple beauty of this stunning place. No high rise hotels to be found here, just mile after mile of near empty perfect beach and a stunning mountain backdrop. I felt fortunate indeed. A half hour later I was hurriedly putting on my clothes before setting off on the 70 mile journey home. Legs a little tired after a workout and skin aglow. It had been another good day.
13 kilometres...880 metres ascent and descent...3 hours 25 minutes 🌊
Stradbally strand

No comments: