Thursday 14 February 2019

The Dungarvan 10 Mile Run and A Swift Hike on Caherbarnagh

On Sunday February 10th I headed east to try my hand at running the Dungarvan 10 mile run. This is one of the most popular races in Ireland and this year 2500 souls ran the route. Now it's fair to say that I wouldn't be bothering any of the front runners but I was keen to try my hand at pushing myself for a long distance and since I have entered the Burren Marathon at the end of May this would give a reasonable indication of my current fitness levels.
I got the opportunity to get a race number (this race sells out in minutes) from a member of the running club (and yes I have joined a club) so for one day only "me name" Mike 😊.
The race starts at the very convenient time of 13.30 so I had plenty of time to relax in the morning before heading on the 90 minute drive to the start. I arrived about 40 minutes before the off and I easily found a spot to park in the town centre. It was a superb day for a run, dry and a pleasant 8 or 9 degrees with little breeze to help or hinder. I set off for the start about a kilometre away and warmed up with a gentle jog along the waterfront. More and more fellow runners materialised and by the time I got close to the start the size of the crowds was obvious. There was a great atmosphere building which both increased my anticipation and nerves. Soon the allotted time arrived and I found myself in the huge throng close behind the 70 minute pacers and ready for the off. Such was the noise I couldn't hear the starting gun and it was the slow shuffle forward of the crowd that indicated that the race had started.

I of course wanted to do a decent time but I also wanted to enjoy the experience so I determined that I would listen to the body as I went along and let it tell me what pace I should set. It took a kilometre or so for things to loosen out and I was able to set my own pace. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with the 70 minute guys but I used them as a guide for the first few miles and sort of kept them in a diminishing view. I knew nothing of the course but it was fairly flat with no big hills and it leaves the town and runs along a fairly narrow country road that rises gently as you head inland. I kept a good pace and felt reasonably good throughout. You are always surrounded by other runners but it was interesting and had a good atmosphere for the full route. Eventually we turned back towards the town and finally the home stretch arrived. It is fair to say I was glad when this arrived and the pain was eased when I saw that I had easily beaten the 75 minute mark and my official time was 72 minutes 52 secs. I was well pleased and enjoyed the whole experience. I might return ( if I could secure an entry).

On Sunday Feb 10th I had intended on getting in a good hillwalk but the forecast was for 60 kilometre winds to arrive late morning so I thought it would be a bit iffy to head to the mountains. Instead I enjoyed a lie in and just chilled at home. It was clear that the weather was better than promised so I eventually decided to head back to Caherbarnagh for a short excursion. I had been for a hilly 17 kilometre run the previous evening so this would loosen the legs nicely. I parked where the Duhallow Way enters the mountainside after its diversion along the road and I headed for the steep spur that descends from the NE top. I tried to maintain a stiff pace and it wasn't too long before I was standing on the broad boggy top. It was a cold breezy day and the frequent showers  were mostly of sleet and hail. Some snow dusted the higher slopes and it was invigorating to be out. The tops were under the clouds so the views were extensive, most especially towards the north. A short walk and I arrived at the main summit at 681 metres. Next up came the easy couple of kilometres as I crossed to Gortaveghy where the view to Claragh and towards home was lovely. I retraced my steps a little and then dropped easily back towards the car. As I said it is a short outing and is only around 7 kilometres and took me just 1 hour 40 minutes. Still, it filled the lungs with mountain air and loosened out the legs.

The spur is a bit steeper that shown here

To the west

The car is down by the houses

Icy fence and heading towards Gortaveghy

Towards Claragh and home


Showers were frequent but fleeting. Lovely

No comments: