Saturday 31 May 2014

A Kayak Trip On The River Blackwater

Today I went with Andrew Ring a friend and colleague from work to join with eleven others on a kayak trip on the beautiful river Blackwater. The day didn't have the most auspicious start as over an hour after we left Mallow I realised that I had left my wallet behind in a shop where we had stopped to get some coffee and food. Thankfully I when I telephoned I discovered that it had been found and was safe and there to be collected when I returned. I blamb Andrew :o).  The trip was put together my James and he couldn't have done a better job. The weather was absolutely glorious and liberal lathering of sunscreen was the order of the day prior to us setting off in the shadow of the spectacular Lismore castle ( the Irish bolthole of the Duke of Devonshire). We were off before ten am and we entered a different world. Things take on a completely different perspective from the water and I was loving it. For the first few miles we were being helped along by the current and afterwards the river becomes tidal and the ebb tide was our friend. Everyone was in great spirits and the banter and good humour heightened the enjoyment of the day. We were accompanied by two guides from the kayak company and Denis in particular was a mine of information on the various sights and features on the route. At around noon we left the water and visited the lovely Tourin House and gardens where we were served excellent sandwiches and apple tart. It felt great to stretch the legs and loosen out my numb bum and our excellent, informative and welcoming hostess ensured we had a good time. After over an hour we swapped modes of transport and myself and James took a canoe. We re-entered the water and went down river for a further hour or so until we reached Villierstown where a bus was waiting to whisk us back to Lismore and our cars. It had been a wonderful experience which everyone vowed to soon repeat. Thanks James for organising such a great day.
Looking up to Lismore Castle

Getting ready

Looking back towards the Knockmealdowns


A 15th century castle at Tourin House


The crew

Tourin House

James in the Hat

Big river

Journeys end

No comments: